Consistent Dynamic Affine Mortality Model for Longevity Risk Applications
This paper proposes and assesses consistent multi-factor dynamic affine mortality models for longevity risk applications. The dynamics of the model produce closed-form expressions for survival curves. The framework includes an arbitrage-free model specification. There are multiple risk factors allowing applications to hedging and pricing mortality and longevity bonds, mortality derivatives and more general risk management problems. A state-space representation is used to estimate parameters for the model with the Kalman filter. A 3-factor model specification is shown to provide a good fit to the observed survival curves especially for older ages, and performs better than the 2-factor models. Consistent models are shown to improve model performance and stability.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ground Floor, East Wing, UNSW Kensington Campus, Sydney NSW 2052|
Phone: (+61)-2-9931 9202
Fax: (+61)-2 9385 6956
Web page: http://www.cepar.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999.
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008.
"An arbitrage-free generalized Nelson-Siegel term structure model,"
Working Paper Series
2008-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2009. "An arbitrage-free generalized Nelson--Siegel term structure model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(3), pages C33-C64, November.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008. "An Arbitrage-Free Generalized Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Model," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jens H.E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008. "An Arbitrage-Free Generalized Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Model," NBER Working Papers 14463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elisa Luciano & Elena Vigna, 2006.
"Non mean reverting affne processes for stochastic mortality,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
30, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Elisa Luciano & Elena Vigna, 2005. "Non mean reverting affine processes for stochastic mortality," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 4-2005, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- De Rossi, Giuliano, 2004. "Kalman filtering of consistent forward rate curves: a tool to estimate and model dynamically the term structure," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 277-308, March.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asb:wpaper:201107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elena Capatina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.