Scaling and correlation in financial data
The statistical properties of the increments x(t+T) - x(t) of a financial time series depend on the time resolution T on which the increments are considered. A non-parametric approach is used to study the scale dependence of the empirical distribution of the price increments x(t+T) - x(t) of S&P Index futures, for time scales T, ranging from a few minutes to a few days using high-frequency price data. We show that while the variance increases linearly with the timescale, the kurtosis exhibits anomalous scaling properties, indicating a departure from the iid hypothesis. Study of the dependence structure of the increments shows that although the autocorrelation function decays rapidly to zero in a few minutes, the correlation of their squares exhibits a slow power law decay with exponent 0.37, indicating persistence in the scale of fluctuations. We establish a link between the scaling behavior and the dependence structure of the increments : in particular, the anomalous scaling of kurtosis may be explained by "long memory" properties of the square of the increments.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Potters & Rama Cont & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1996. "Financial markets as adaptative systems," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500037, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
- Rama Cont & Marc Potters & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1997.
"Scaling in stock market data: stable laws and beyond,"
- Rama Cont & Marc Potters & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1997. "Scaling in stock market data: stable laws and beyond," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 9705087, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Pagan, Adrian, 1996. "The econometrics of financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 15-102, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/9705075. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.