Semi-Markov Models in High Frequency Finance: A Review
In this paper we describe three stochastic models based on a semi-Markov chains approach and its generalizations to study the high frequency price dynamics of traded stocks. The three models are: a simple semi-Markov chain model, an indexed semi-Markov chain model and a weighted indexed semi-Markov chain model. We show, through Monte Carlo simulations, that the models are able to reproduce important stylized facts of financial time series as the persistence of volatility. In particular, we analyzed high frequency data from the Italian stock market from the first of January 2007 until end of December 2010 and we apply to it the semi-Markov chain model and the indexed semi-Markov chain model. The last model, instead, is applied to data from Italian and German stock markets from January 1, 2007 until the end of December 2010.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Ingve Simonsen & Mogens H. Jensen & Anders Johansen, 2002. "Optimal Investment Horizons," Papers cond-mat/0202352, arXiv.org.
- D’Amico, Guglielmo & Janssen, Jacques & Manca, Raimondo, 2009. "European and American options: The semi-Markov case," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(15), pages 3181-3194.
- F. Petroni & M. Serva, 2003. "Spot foreign exchange market and time series," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 495-500, August.
- Guglielmo D'Amico & Filippo Petroni, 2011. "A semi-Markov model with memory for price changes," Papers 1109.4259, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2011.
- D’Amico, Guglielmo & Petroni, Filippo & Prattico, Flavio, 2013. "First and second order semi-Markov chains for wind speed modeling," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(5), pages 1194-1201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1312.3894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.