Prices and Asymptotics for Discrete Variance Swaps
We study the fair strike of a discrete variance swap for a general time-homogeneous stochastic volatility model. In the special cases of Heston, Hull-White and Schobel-Zhu stochastic volatility models we give simple explicit expressions (improving Broadie and Jain (2008a) in the case of the Heston model). We give conditions on parameters under which the fair strike of a discrete variance swap is higher or lower than that of the continuous variance swap. The interest rate and the correlation between the underlying price and its volatility are key elements in this analysis. We derive asymptotics for the discrete variance swaps and compare our results with those of Broadie and Jain (2008a), Jarrow et al. (2013) and Keller-Ressel and Griessler (2012).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sam Howison & Avraam Rafailidis & Henrik Rasmussen, 2004. "On the pricing and hedging of volatility derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 317-346.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2010. "Pricing swaps and options on quadratic variation under stochastic time change models—discrete observations case," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-176, July.
- Fred Espen Benth & Martin Groth & Rodwell Kufakunesu, 2007. "Valuing Volatility and Variance Swaps for a Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Stochastic Volatility Model," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 347-363.
- Peter Carr & Roger Lee & Liuren Wu, 2012. "Variance swaps on time-changed Lévy processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 335-355, April.
- Windcliff, H. & Forsyth, P.A. & Vetzal, K.R., 2006. "Pricing methods and hedging strategies for volatility derivatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 409-431, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1305.7092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.