Dynamic structural and topological phase transitions on the Warsaw Stock Exchange: A phenomenological approach
We study the crash dynamics of the Warsaw Stock Exchange (WSE) by using the Minimal Spanning Tree (MST) networks. We find the transition of the complex network during its evolution from a (hierarchical) power law MST network, representing the stable state of WSE before the recent worldwide financial crash, to a superstar-like (or superhub) MST network of the market decorated by a hierarchy of trees (being, perhaps, an unstable, intermediate market state). Subsequently, we observed a transition from this complex tree to the topology of the (hierarchical) power law MST network decorated by several star-like trees or hubs. This structure and topology represent, perhaps, the WSE after the worldwide financial crash, and could be considered to be an aftershock. Our results can serve as an empirical foundation for a future theory of dynamic structural and topological phase transitions on financial markets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Vandewalle & F. Brisbois & X. Tordoir, 2001. "Non-random topology of stock markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 372-374.
- Giovanni Bonanno & Fabrizio Lillo & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2000.
"High-frequency Cross-correlation in a Set of Stocks,"
cond-mat/0009350, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2000.
- G. Bonanno & F. Lillo & R. N. Mantegna, 2001. "High-frequency cross-correlation in a set of stocks," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 96-104.
- B. M. Tabak & T. R. Serra & D. O. Cajueiro, 2010. "Topological properties of commodities networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 243-249, March.
- Dong-Ming Song & Michele Tumminello & Wei-Xing Zhou & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2011. "Evolution of worldwide stock markets, correlation structure and correlation based graphs," Papers 1103.5555, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1301.6506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.