Computing Quantiles in Regime-Switching Jump-Diffusions with Application to Optimal Risk Management: a Fourier Transform Approach
In this paper we consider the problem of calculating the quantiles of a risky position, the dynamic of which is described as a continuous time regime-switching jump-diffusion, by using Fourier Transform methods. Furthermore, we study a classical option-based portfolio strategy which minimizes the Value-at-Risk of the hedged position and show the impact of jumps and switching regimes on the optimal strategy in a numerical example. However, the analysis of this hedging strategy, as well as the computational technique for its implementation, is fairly general, i.e. it can be applied to any dynamical model for which Fourier transform methods are viable.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annaert, Jan & Deelstra, Griselda & Heyman, Dries & Vanmaele, Michèle, 2007.
"Risk management of a bond portfolio using options,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 299-316, November.
- J. Annaert & G. Deelstra & D. Heyman & M. Vanmaele, 2007. "Risk management of a bond portfolio using options," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/465, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Griselda Deelstra & Ahmed Ezzine & Dries Heyman & Michèle Vanmaele, 2007. "Managing value-at-risk for a bond using bond put options," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 139-149, March.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2000. "Value-at-Risk: a multivariate switching regime approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 531-554, December.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Jun Pan & Darrell Duffie, 2001. "Analytical value-at-risk with jumps and credit risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 155-180.
- Young Kim & Svetlozar Rachev & Michele Bianchi & Frank Fabozzi, 2009. "Computing VAR and AVaR in Infinitely Divisible Distributions," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2569, Yale School of Management.
- Naik, Vasanttilak, 1993. " Option Valuation and Hedging Strategies with Jumps in the Volatility of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1969-1984, December.
- Ryohei Kawata & Masaaki Kijima, 2007. "Value-at-risk in a market subject to regime switching," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 609-619.
- Claudio Albanese & Ken Jackson & Petter Wiberg, 2004. "A new Fourier transform algorithm for value-at-risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 328-338.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1999. "Optimal Risk Management Using Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 359-375, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1207.6759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.