Implementing Loss Distribution Approach for Operational Risk
To quantify the operational risk capital charge under the current regulatory framework for banking supervision, referred to as Basel II, many banks adopt the Loss Distribution Approach. There are many modeling issues that should be resolved to use the approach in practice. In this paper we review the quantitative methods suggested in literature for implementation of the approach. In particular, the use of the Bayesian inference method that allows to take expert judgement and parameter uncertainty into account, modeling dependence and inclusion of insurance are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry (2010), volume 26 issue 3, pages: 277-307|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaolin Luo & Pavel V. Shevchenko, 2009. "Computing Tails of Compound Distributions Using Direct Numerical Integration," Papers 0904.0830, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Degen, Matthias & Embrechts, Paul & Lambrigger, Dominik D., 2007. "The Quantitative Modeling of Operational Risk: Between G-and-H and EVT," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 265-291, November.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Chavez-Demoulin, V. & Embrechts, P. & Neslehova, J., 2006. "Quantitative models for operational risk: Extremes, dependence and aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2635-2658, October.
- Frachot, Antoine & Roncalli, Thierry & Salomon, Eric, 2004. "The Correlation Problem in Operational Risk," MPRA Paper 38052, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gareth W. Peters & Pavel V. Shevchenko & Mario V. W\"uthrich, 2009. "Dynamic operational risk: modeling dependence and combining different sources of information," Papers 0904.4074, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2009.
- Embrechts, Paul & Neslehová, Johanna & Wüthrich, Mario V., 2009. "Additivity properties for Value-at-Risk under Archimedean dependence and heavy-tailedness," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 164-169, April.
- Marco Bee, 2005. "On maximum likelihood estimation of operational loss distributions," Department of Economics Working Papers 0503, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0904.1805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.