Clustering of discretely observed diffusion processes
In this paper a new dissimilarity measure to identify groups of assets dynamics is proposed. The underlying generating process is assumed to be a diffusion process solution of stochastic differential equations and observed at discrete time. The mesh of observations is not required to shrink to zero. As distance between two observed paths, the quadratic distance of the corresponding estimated Markov operators is considered. Analysis of both synthetic data and real financial data from NYSE/NASDAQ stocks, give evidence that this distance seems capable to catch differences in both the drift and diffusion coefficients contrary to other commonly used metrics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gobet, Emmanuel & Hoffmann, Marc & Reiß, Markus, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of scalar diffusions based on low frequency data is ill-posed," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Corduas, Marcella & Piccolo, Domenico, 2008. "Time series clustering and classification by the autoregressive metric," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1860-1872, January.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
NBER Working Papers
5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Giorgino, Toni, 2009. "Computing and Visualizing Dynamic Time Warping Alignments in R: The dtw Package," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 31(i07).
- Alonso, A.M. & Berrendero, J.R. & Hernandez, A. & Justel, A., 2006. "Time series clustering based on forecast densities," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 762-776, November.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Junichi Hirukawa, 2006. "Cluster Analysis For Non-Gaussian Locally Stationary Processes," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(01), pages 113-132.
- Otranto, Edoardo, 2008.
"Clustering heteroskedastic time series by model-based procedures,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4685-4698, June.
- E. Otranto, 2008. "Clustering Heteroskedastic Time Series by Model-Based Procedures," Working Paper CRENoS 200801, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0809.3902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.