Clustering of discretely observed diffusion processes
In this paper a new dissimilarity measure to identify groups of assets dynamics is proposed. The underlying generating process is assumed to be a diffusion process solution of stochastic differential equations and observed at discrete time. The mesh of observations is not required to shrink to zero. As distance between two observed paths, the quadratic distance of the corresponding estimated Markov operators is considered. Analysis of both synthetic data and real financial data from NYSE/NASDAQ stocks, give evidence that this distance seems capable to catch differences in both the drift and diffusion coefficients contrary to other commonly used metrics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Corduas, Marcella & Piccolo, Domenico, 2008. "Time series clustering and classification by the autoregressive metric," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1860-1872, January.
- Gobet, Emmanuel & Hoffmann, Marc & Reiß, Markus, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of scalar diffusions based on low frequency data is ill-posed," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Junichi Hirukawa, 2006. "Cluster Analysis For Non-Gaussian Locally Stationary Processes," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(01), pages 113-132.
- Alonso, A.M. & Berrendero, J.R. & Hernandez, A. & Justel, A., 2006. "Time series clustering based on forecast densities," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 762-776, November.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:jss:jstsof:31:i07 is not listed on IDEAS
- E. Otranto, 2008.
"Clustering Heteroskedastic Time Series by Model-Based Procedures,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200801, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Otranto, Edoardo, 2008. "Clustering heteroskedastic time series by model-based procedures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4685-4698, June.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0809.3902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.