Political Business Cycles: Evidências Empíricas Para Os Municípios Paulistas (1989 - 2001)
This paper analyses the fiscal performance of São Paulo state municipalities, between the years of 1989 and 2001, considering the influence of two political factors: the electoral agenda and the different political party ideologies. Based on panel data econometric methods, specific components of the public municipal budget were analyzed: evidences of positive impulses in municipal expenditures were found in the election years of 1992 and 1996 and, for the political parties, we found evidences that: i) higher public investments are undertaken by PFL; ii) PTB, PPB/PDS and PSDB spend more financial resources in payroll expenditures than the other political parties; iii) in current transfers, the lowest resources are spent by PT.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Phone: 55 21 3674 7952
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff & Anne Sibert, 1988.
"Elections and Macroeconomic Policy Cycles,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 1-16.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Anne Sibert, 1986. "Elections and Macroeconomic Policy Cycles," NBER Working Papers 1838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto, 1987. "Macroeconomic Policy in a Two-party System as a Repeated Game," Scholarly Articles 4552531, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina, 1987. "Macroeconomic Policy in a Two-Party System as a Repeated Game," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(3), pages 651-678.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1990. "Equilibrium Political Budget Cycles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 21-36, March.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1987. "Equilibrium Political Budget Cycles," NBER Working Papers 2428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rita de Cássia Libanio & Naércio Aquino de Menezes Filho, 2003. "Indicadores Sociais e Desempenho nas Eleições Estaduais," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] f34, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)