Diferenciação Horizontal e Poder de Mercado: os Efeitos do E-BANKING Sobre as Tarifas Bancárias
This paper provides empirical evidence on the impact of e-banking on competition in the banking sector, more specifically on banking fees. Using aggregate data on fee revenues, non-interest expenses, number of external ATMs, number of multiple and commercial banks, and the degree of concentration of the banking industry, results suggest that an increase in banking concentration raises banking fees, while an increase in the number of ATMs available lowers the fees charged to consumers.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Phone: 55 21 3674 7952
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert DeYoung, 2001. "Learning-by-doing, scale efficiencies, and financial performance at Internet-only banks," Working Paper Series WP-01-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert DeYoung, 2001. "Learning-by-doing, scale efficiencies, and financial performance at Internet-only banks," Proceedings 711, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988.
"The price-concentration relationship in banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Degryse, H.A., 1996.
"On the interaction between vertical and horizontal product differentiation : An application to banking,"
Other publications TiSEM
384e9355-ea79-4b3e-90cb-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Degryse, Hans, 1996. "On the Interaction between Vertical and Horizontal Product Differentiation: An Application to Banking," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 169-86, June.
- Harry Leinonen, 2001. "Developments in retail payment systems," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Electronic finance: a new perspective and challenges, volume 7, pages 61-68 Bank for International Settlements.
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. (ed.), 1991. "Long-Run Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283393, December.
- Stijn Claessens & Thomas Glaessner & Daniela Klingebiel, 2002. "Electronic Finance: Reshaping the Financial Landscape Around the World," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 29-61, August.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2003:d48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Zadra Armond)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.