Houshold Aggregate Wealth In The Main OECD Countries From 1980 To 2011: What Do The Data Tell Us?
This paper analyses aggregate household wealth in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the UK and the US. Building on a new data set for the time span 1980-2011, we discuss the trends in household financial assets in the last thirty years, the reasons for differences across countries, the tendency towards convergence, the economic interpretation of breaks in time series and the effects of the recent financial crisis. We also comment on the evolution of household debt and real assets. In discussing the empirical evidence, the paper summarises some of the recent literature on household wealth.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8 6012 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7083
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://sites.google.com/site/mofirunivpm/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florian Pelgrin & Alain de Serres, 2003.
"The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can Be Explained by Non-wealth Determinants?,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(1), pages 117-153.
- Alain de Serres & Florian Pelgrin, 2002. "The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can be Explained by Non-Wealth Determinants?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 344, OECD Publishing.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2011.
"The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
837, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2012. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 409-425, March.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "The Effects of Financial and Real Wealth on Consumption: New Evidence from OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 38, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Riccardo De Bonis, 2009.
"Do Financial Systems Converge?: New Evidence from Household Financial Assets in Selected OECD Countries,"
OECD Statistics Working Papers
2009/1, OECD Publishing.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Riccardo De Bonis, 2009. "Do financial systems converge? New evidence from household financial assets in selected OECD countries," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring financial innovation and its impact", Basel, 26-27 August 2008, volume 31, pages 383-401 Bank for International Settlements.
- Bruno, Giuseppe & De Bonis, Riccardo & Silvestrini, Andrea, 2012. "Do financial systems converge? New evidence from financial assets in OECD countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-155.
- Riccardo Bonci & Grazia Marchese & Andrea Neri, 2005. "Financial wealth in the financial accounts and in the Survey of Household Income and Wealth," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 565, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wmofir:82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.