The Role of the Marine Sector in the Irish National Economy: An Input-Output Analysis
Recent research in Ireland has estimated both the national and regional economic value of the marine sector. However, economic activity does not exist in a vacuum. Activities in the marine sector not only directly affect the industries in the sector but also influence other sectors through inter-sectoral linkages. This paper uses an Input-Output (IO) methodology to examine the linkages and production effects of the Irish marine sector on the national economy. Disaggregating the Irish IO table for 2007 to include ten additional marine sectors, this paper represents the first effort to quantify the inter-industry linkage effects, production-inducing effects and employment multipliers in the marine sector. This analysis found that a number of marine sectors, notably the maritime transportation sector, have an important economic role within the wider Irish economy.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nuigalway.ie/semru/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrissey, Karyn & O'Donoghue, Cathal & Hynes, Stephen, 2011. "Quantifying the value of multi-sectoral marine commercial activity in Ireland," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 721-727, September.
- Peter Midmore & Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2006. "Assessing industry linkages using regional input-output tables," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 329-343.
- Luciana Lazzeretti & Francesco Capone, 2010. "Mapping shipbuilding clusters in Tuscany: main features and policy implications," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 37-52, January.
- Nigel Driffield & Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment, Transactions Linkages, and the Performance of the Domestic Sector," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 335-351.
- Jan A. Van Der Linden, 2001. "The economic impact study of maritime policy issues: application to the German case," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 33-54, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:semrui:148835. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.