Cultural Barriers and Agricultural Trade in the Western Hemisphere
This study analyzes the impacts of cultural distance on bilateral trade flows in the Western Hemisphere using a Fixed Effects Vector Decomposition (FEVD). Four cultural dimensions of Hofstede are used to capture cultural distance. The results found that the effects of each dimension vary considerably with three of four dimensions (UAI, PDI, and MFI) have a negative impact and one dimension (ICI) has a positive effect. The magnitude of ICI is large enough to offset the negative effects of the other three dimensions resulting in a net positive effect of cultural distance, suggesting that culturally-dissimilar countries trade more than less.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- I-Hui Cheng & Howard J. Wall, 2004.
"Controlling for heterogeneity in gravity models of trade and integration,"
1999-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- I-Hui Cheng & Howard J. Wall, 2005. "Controlling for heterogeneity in gravity models of trade and integration," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 49-63.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Henri L.F. de Groot & Gert-Jan Linders & Piet Rietveld & Uma Subramanian, 2003.
"The Institutional Determinants of Bilateral Trade Patterns,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-044/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Oct 2003.
- Henri L. F. de Groot & Gert-Jan Linders & Piet Rietveld & Uma Subramanian, 2004. "The Institutional Determinants of Bilateral Trade Patterns," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 103-123, 02.
- Henri L.F. De Groot & Gert-Jan Linders & Piet Rietveld & Uma Subramanian, 2003. "The Institutional Determinants of Bilateral Trade Patterns," ERSA conference papers ersa03p421, European Regional Science Association.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008.
"The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," Development Working Papers 186, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Frank A.G. den Butter & Robert H.J. Mosch, 2003. "Trade, Trust and Transaction Cost," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-082/3, Tinbergen Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea10:56352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.