Economic Analysis Of Herbicide Control Of Leafy Spurge (Euphorbia Esula L.) In Rangeland
Leafy spurge (Euphorbia esula L.), a widely established exotic, noxious, perennial weed, is a major threat to the viability of commercial grazing and beneficial outputs of wildlands in the Upper Great Plains. Herbicide treatments are often recommended based upon measures of physical control rather than on economic criteria. Considering the wide geographic variation of leafy spurge infestations, the range of herbicide control alternatives, and the long-term consequences this weed creates, a need exists to assess the economics of herbicide control. A deterministic, bioeconomic model was developed to evaluate the economic viability of current herbicide control strategies for leafy spurge. Only under liberal assumptions and optimistic projections does broadcast herbicide treatment result in positive net returns for most grazing situations in the Upper Great Plains. However, herbicides usually result in less loss over the long-run than does no control.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 5636, Fargo, ND 58105-5636|
Phone: (701) 231-7441
Web page: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/homepages/aedept/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stroh, Rodney K. & Bangsund, Dean A. & Leitch, Jay A., 1990.
"Leafy Spurge Patch Expansion,"
121420, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Stroh, Rodney K. & Bangsund, Dean A. & Leitch, Jay A., 1990. "Leafy Spurge Patch Expansion," Statistical Series Reports 165919, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry, 1991. "Economic Impact of Leafy Spurge in Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming," Agricultural Economics Reports 23433, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Stroh, Rodney K. & Bangsund, Dean A. & Leitch, Jay A., 1990. "Leafy Spurge Patch Expansion," Staff Papers 165919, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Thompson, Flint & Leistritz, F. Larry & Leitch, Jay A., 1990. "Economic Impact of Leafy Spurge in North Dakota," Agricultural Economics Reports 23394, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nddaer:23314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.