Analyzing Resources for the Production of High-Value Agricultural Products in the California High Desert
Urbanization of previously undeveloped land is a critical concern in Southern California. Housing development brings with it several potentially detrimental effects, among which are hardening of the landscape (pavement), diminished water absorption into the soil, and increased harmful runoff into the Pacific Ocean. The High Desert Region of San Bernardino County, California is an area currently experiencing significant development pressure. It is our belief that the development of agricultural production could, to some extent, substitute for residential and commercial development, and that agricultural production is a more sustainable use of the land in this area. This report examines and inventories resources of an unincorporated area near the Cajon Pass and Silverwood Lake, and assesses how they might best be utilized to introduce production of high-value agricultural products. A conclusion is that although water may be a limiting factor, the production of deciduous tree fruits (e.g., apples, cherries, pears, peaches, apricots, and nectarines) should be considered in this area. Small scale agricultural enterprises are more likely to achieve success. Implications for public policy and areas for future research are also presented.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.csupomona.edu/cfmas|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Jon C. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 2002. "Inventorying Resources: An Application To Product-Oriented Agriculture," Staff Papers 11800, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Phillips, Jon C. & Rodgriguez, L. Pilar, 2006. "Beyond Organic: An Overview of Biodynamic Agriculture with Case Examples," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21036, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Phillips, Jon C. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 2007. "Strategic Marketing Decisions for Organic Agricultural Producers," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 10(01).
- Phillips, Jon C. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 2002. "Inventorying Resources: An Application To Product-Oriented Agriculture," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19614, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ignacy SACHS, 2004. "Inclusive development and decent work for all," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 143(1-2), pages 161-184, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cscerr:7427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.