Nonparametric Analysis of Technology and Productivity under Non-Convexity
This paper investigates the nonparametric analysis of technology under non-convexity. The analysis extends two approaches now commonly used in efficiency and productivity analysis: Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) where convexity is imposed; and Free Disposal Hull (FDH) models. We argue that, while the FDH model allows for non-convexity, its representation of non-convexity is too extreme. We propose a new nonparametric model that relies on a neighborhood-based technology assessment which allows for less extreme forms of non-convexity. The distinctive feature of our approach is that it allows for non-convexity to arise in any part of the feasible set. We show how it can be implemented empirically by solving simple linear programming problems. And we illustrate the usefulness of the approach in an empirical application to the analysis of technical and scale efficiency on Korean farms.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bogetoft & Joseph M. Tama & Jørgen Tind, 2000. "Convex Input and Output Projections of Nonconvex Production Possibility Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 858-869, June.
- AGRELL, Per J. & BOGETOFT, Peter & BROCK, Michael & TIND, Jorgen, . "Efficiency evaluation with convex pairs," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1828, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Kristof De Witte & Rui C. Marcques, 2008.
"Big and beautiful? On non-parametrically measuring scale economies in non-convex technologies,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces0822, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Kristof Witte & Rui Marques, 2011. "Big and beautiful? On non-parametrically measuring scale economies in non-convex technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 213-226, June.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1828 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leleu, Herve, 2006.
"A linear programming framework for free disposal hull technologies and cost functions: Primal and dual models,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 340-344, January.
- H. Leleu, 2006. "A linear programming framework for free disposal hull technologies and cost functions: primal and dual models," Post-Print hal-00204497, HAL.
- H. Leleu, 2009. "Mixing DEA and FDH models together," Post-Print halshs-00481985, HAL.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008.
"Stochastic FDH/DEA estimators for Frontier Analysis,"
8, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Léopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011. "Stochastic FDH/DEA estimators for frontier analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-20, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:149684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.