Indirect Convertibility and Quasi-futures Contracts: Two Non-operational Schemes for Automatic Stabilisation of the Price Level
This paper examines two proposals for automatic stabilization of the price level based on indirect convertibility and something called a 'quasi futures contract'. These two schemes represent attempts to render operational ideas implicit in the Black (1970) Fama (1980) and Hall (1982) vision of the monetary system. Criticisms of the two schemes have been rejected by their exponents. The paper clarifies the analytical issues at stake in this debate and concludes that both schemes do suffer from fundamental flaws which would render them nonoperational. Hence, neither scheme offers an operational basis for a laissez faire banking system or provides a workable alternative to current methods of stabilising the price level.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (618) 8303 5540
Web page: http://www.economics.adelaide.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenfield, Robert L & Woolsey, W William & Yeager, Leland B, 1995. "Is Indirect Convertibility Impossible? Comment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 293-97, February.
- Tyler Cowen & Randall S. Kroszner, 1994. "The new monetary economics," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Austrian Economics, chapter 86 Edward Elgar.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1985.
"Bank deregulation, accounting systems of exchange, and the unit of account: A critical review,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 13-45, January.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985. "Bank Deregulation, Accounting Systems of Exchange, and the Unit of Account: A Critical Review," NBER Working Papers 1572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowen, Tyler, 1997. "Should Central Banks Target CPI Futures?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 275-85, August.
- Sumner, Scott, 1995. "The Impact of Futures Price Targeting on the Precision and Credibility of Monetary Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 89-106, February.
- George A. Selgin & Lawrence H. White, 1994.
"How Would the Invisible Hand Handle Money?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1718-1749, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979. "Money and the Price Level under the Gold Standard," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 13-33, March.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Schnadt, Norbert & Whittaker, John, 1993. "Inflation-Proof Currency? The Feasibility of Variable Commodity Standards," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 214-21, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adl:wpaper:2001-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dmitriy Kvasov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.