A Non-standard Empirical Likelihood for Time Series
Standard blockwise empirical likelihood (BEL) for stationary, weakly dependent time series requires specifying a fixed block length as a tuning parameter for setting confidence regions. This aspect can be difficult and impacts coverage accuracy. As an alternative, this paper proposes a new version of BEL based on a simple, though non-standard, data-blocking rule which uses a data block of every possible length. Consequently, the method involves no block selection and is also anticipated to exhibit better coverage performance. Its non-standard blocking scheme, however, induces non-standard asymptotics and requires a significantly different development compared to standard BEL. We establish the large-sample distribution of log-ratio statistics from the new BEL method for calibrating confidence regions for mean or smooth function parameters of time series. This limit law is not the usual chi-square one, but is distribution-free and can be reproduced through straightforward simulations. Numerical studies indicate that the proposed method generally exhibits better coverage accuracy than standard BEL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Bravo, 2005. "Blockwise empirical entropy tests for time series regressions," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 185-210, 03.
- Politis, Dimitris N. & Romano, Joseph P., 1993. "On the sample variance of linear statistics derived from mixing sequences," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-167, March.
- Wu, Rongning & Cao, Jiguo, 2011. "Blockwise empirical likelihood for time series of counts," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 661-673, March.
- Bunzel, Helle & Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy, 2001.
"Simple Robust Testing of Hypothesis in Non-Linear Models,"
Staff General Research Papers
5214, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bunzel H. & Kiefer N. M. & Vogelsang T. J., 2001. "Simple Robust Testing of Hypotheses in Nonlinear Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1088-1096, September.
- Francesco Bravo, 2009. "Blockwise generalized empirical likelihood inference for non-linear dynamic moment conditions models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 208-231, 07.
- Xiaofeng Shao, 2010. "A self-normalized approach to confidence interval construction in time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(3), pages 343-366.
- Lin, Lu & Zhang, Runchu, 2001. "Blockwise empirical Euclidean likelihood for weakly dependent processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 143-152, June.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang & Helle Bunzel, 2000.
"Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 695-714, May.
- Lobato I. N., 2001. "Testing That a Dependent Process Is Uncorrelated," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1066-1076, September.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C. B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2008.
"Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 175-194, 01.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C. B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2006. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1545, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang, 2002.
"Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Standard Errors Using The Bartlett Kernel Without Truncation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2093-2095, September.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M., 2001. "Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Standard Errors Using the Bartlett Kernel without Truncation," Working Papers 01-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Zhang, Junjian, 2006. "Empirical likelihood for NA series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 153-160, January.
- Daniel J. Nordman, 2009. "Tapered empirical likelihood for time series data in time and frequency domains," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(1), pages 119-132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.