A Non-standard Empirical Likelihood for Time Series
Standard blockwise empirical likelihood (BEL) for stationary, weakly dependent time series requires specifying a fixed block length as a tuning parameter for setting confidence regions. This aspect can be difficult and impacts coverage accuracy. As an alternative, this paper proposes a new version of BEL based on a simple, though non-standard, data-blocking rule which uses a data block of every possible length. Consequently, the method involves no block selection and is also anticipated to exhibit better coverage performance. Its non-standard blocking scheme, however, induces non-standard asymptotics and requires a significantly different development compared to standard BEL. We establish the large-sample distribution of log-ratio statistics from the new BEL method for calibrating confidence regions for mean or smooth function parameters of time series. This limit law is not the usual chi-square one, but is distribution-free and can be reproduced through straightforward simulations. Numerical studies indicate that the proposed method generally exhibits better coverage accuracy than standard BEL.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Rongning & Cao, Jiguo, 2011. "Blockwise empirical likelihood for time series of counts," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 661-673, March.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M., 2001.
"Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Standard Errors Using the Bartlett Kernel without Truncation,"
01-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang, 2002. "Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Standard Errors Using The Bartlett Kernel Without Truncation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2093-2095, September.
- Bunzel, Helle & Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy, 2001.
"Simple Robust Testing of Hypothesis in Non-Linear Models,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5214, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bunzel H. & Kiefer N. M. & Vogelsang T. J., 2001. "Simple Robust Testing of Hypotheses in Nonlinear Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1088-1096, September.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C. B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2008.
"Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 175-194, 01.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C. B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2006. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1545, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang & Helle Bunzel, 2000.
"Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 695-714, May.
- Daniel J. Nordman, 2009. "Tapered empirical likelihood for time series data in time and frequency domains," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(1), pages 119-132.
- Politis, Dimitris N. & Romano, Joseph P., 1993. "On the sample variance of linear statistics derived from mixing sequences," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-167, March.
- Zhang, Junjian, 2006. "Empirical likelihood for NA series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 153-160, January.
- Xiaofeng Shao, 2010. "A self-normalized approach to confidence interval construction in time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(3), pages 343-366.
- Lobato I. N., 2001. "Testing That a Dependent Process Is Uncorrelated," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1066-1076, September.
- Francesco Bravo, 2005. "Blockwise empirical entropy tests for time series regressions," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 185-210, 03.
- Francesco Bravo, 2009. "Blockwise generalized empirical likelihood inference for non-linear dynamic moment conditions models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 208-231, 07.
- Lin, Lu & Zhang, Runchu, 2001. "Blockwise empirical Euclidean likelihood for weakly dependent processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 143-152, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.