Global Development Finance 2007 : The Globalization of Corporate Finance in Developing Countries, Volume 1. Review, Analysis, and Outlook
The globalization of corporate finance also points to other challenges. As emerging-market corporations have expanded their international operations, they have increased their exposure to interest rate and currency risks. Concerns are growing that several countries in emerging Europe and Central Asia are experiencing a credit boom engendered by cross-border borrowing by banks of untested financial health and stamina. Some of these banks have increased their foreign exchange exposure to worrisome levels, a concern that warrants special attention from national policymakers. Given banks' critical role in domestic monetary systems, policymakers should step up their regulation of foreign borrowing by banks. The projected slowdown in global growth and tighter monetary policy in high-income countries are expected to make financing conditions for developing countries somewhat less favorable in coming years. While a soft landing is the most likely outcome, there are risks. Global development finance is the World Bank's annual review of global financial conditions facing developing countries. The current volume provides analysis of key trends and prospects, including coverage of capital raised by developing country based corporations.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 8126 and published in 2007.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter M. Summers, 2005. "What caused the Great Moderation? : some cross-country evidence," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 5-32.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 2000.
"Lending booms, reserves and the sustainability of short-term debt: inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 5-44, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1999. "Lending Booms, Reserves, and the Sustainability of Short-Term Debt: Inferences from the Pricing of Syndicated Bank Loans," NBER Working Papers 7113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 1999. "Lending booms, reserves, and the sustainability of short-term debt - inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2155, The World Bank.
- Linda Goldberg & Deborah Leonard, 2003. "What moves sovereign bond markets? The effects of economic news on U.S. and German yields," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 9(Sep).
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2005.
"The Law and Economics of Self-Dealing,"
NBER Working Papers
11883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2002.
"Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2818, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2004. "Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 703-728, November.
- Kim, Suk-Joong, 2003. "The spillover effects of US and Japanese public information news in advanced Asia-Pacific stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 611-630, November.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Puttaswamaiah S., 2006. "Trends and Patterns of Technology Acquisition in Indian Organized Manufacturing: An Inter-industry Exploration," Working Papers id:452, eSocialSciences.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer & Ashoka Mody, 2005.
"The IMF in a world of private capital markets,"
Working Paper Series
2005-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer & Ashoka Mody, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 11198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kletzer, Kenneth & Mody, Ashoka, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt84s7r0jf, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," Working Papers id:48, eSocialSciences.
- Jon Wongswan, 2006.
"Transmission of Information across International Equity Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1157-1189.
- Jon Wongswan, 2003. "Transmission of information across international equity markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 759, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2003. "The emerging project bond market - covenant provisions and credit spreads," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3095, The World Bank.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987.
" A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987. "A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information," Working papers 1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Ozler, Sule, 1992. "The evolution of credit terms : An empirical study of commercial bank lending to developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 79-97, January.
- Rene M. Stulz, 1999. "Globalization of Equity Markets and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 7021, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashoka Mody & Barry J. Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," IMF Working Papers 05/84, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:8126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.