Beyond Continuity: Institutional Change in Advanced Political Economies
- Streeck, Wolfgang(Professor of Sociology and Director at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in Cologne)Thelen, Kathleen(Professor of Political Science, Northwestern University)
Debates surrounding institutional change have become increasingly central to Political Science, Management Studies, and Sociology, opposing the role of globalization in bringing about a convergence of national economies and institutions on one model to theories about 'Varieties of Capitalism'. This book brings together a distinguished set of contributors from a variety of disciplines to examine current theories of institutional change. The chapters highlight the limitations of these theories, finding them lacking in the analytic tools necessary to identify the changes occurring at a national level, and therefore tend to explain many changes and innovation as simply another version of previous situations. Instead a model emerges of contemporary political economies developing in incremental but cumulatively transformative processes. The contributors show that a wide, but not infinite, variety of models of institutional change exist which can meaningfully distinguished and analytically compared. They offer an empirically grounded typology of modes of institutional change that offer important insights on mechanisms of social and political stability, and evolution generally. Beyond Continuity provides a more complex and fundamental understanding of institutional change, and will be important reading for academics, researchers, and advanced students of Political Science, Management Studies, Sociology, and Economics. Contributors to this volume - Colin Crouch, Department of Social and Political Sciences, European University Institute, Florence Richard Deeg, Temple University Marie-Laure Djelic, ESSEC Busines School, Paris Jacob S. Hacker, Yale University Gregory Jackson, Kings College, University of London Maarten Keune, European University Insitute, Florence Jonah D. Levy, University of California, Berkeley Bruno Palier, Centre D'Etudes de la Vie Politique Francaise (CEVIPOF), Paris Sigrid Quack, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin, Germany Wolfgang Streeck, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne Kathleen Thelen, Northwestern University Christine Trampusch, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne Steven K. Vogel, University of California, Berkeley
To our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
This book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780199280469 and published in 2005. ISBN: 9780199280469 Order: http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199280469.do Handle: RePEc:oxp:obooks:9780199280469 Contact details of provider: Web page: http://www.oup.com/
Order Information: Web: http://www.oup.com/
- Frisina Doetter, Lorraine & Götze, Ralf, 2011. "The changing role of the state in the Italian healthcare system," TranState Working Papers 150, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Gordon Redding & Michael Witt, 2009. "China’s business system and its future trajectory," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 381-399, September.
- Deeg, Richard, 2005. "Complementarity and institutional change: How useful a concept?," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Institutions, States, Markets SP II 2005-21, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Salines, Marion & Glöckler, Gabriel & Truchlewski, Zbigniew & del Favero, Paola, 2011. "Beyond the economics of the euro - analysing the institutional evolution of EMU 1999-2010, September 2011," Occasional Paper Series 127, European Central Bank.
- Cornelia Woll, 2011. "Beyond Ideological Battles: A Strategic Analysis of Hedge Fund Regulation in Europe," Les Cahiers européens de Sciences Po 2, Centre d'études européennes (CEE) at Sciences Po, Paris.
- MIYAJIMA Hideaki, 2009. "Pluralistic Evolution of the Japanese-Style Enterprise System: Toward the Hybrid Model (Japanese)," Discussion Papers (Japanese) 09017, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Igor Guardiancich, 2007. "The Political Economy of Pension Reforms in Croatia 1991-2006," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 31(2), pages 95-151.
- Streeck, Wolfgang & Mertens, Daniel, 2010. "Politik im Defizit: Austerität als fiskalpolitisches Regime," MPIfG Discussion Paper 10/5, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Hemerijck, Anton, 2011. "21st Century Welfare Provision is more than the "social insurance state": A reply to Paul Pierson," Working papers of the ZeS 03/2011, University of Bremen, Centre for Social Policy Research (ZeS).
- Matthieu MONTALBAN (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Sigfrido RAMIREZ-PEREZ (Università Bocconi) & Andy SMITH (Centre Emile Durkheim - IEP-Bordeaux), 2011. "EU Competition Policy Revisited: Economic Doctrines Within European Political Work," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-33, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Florian Kern & Michael Howlett, 2009. "Implementing transition management as policy reforms: a case study of the Dutch energy sector," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 391-408, November.
- Bandeira, Pablo, 2008.
"La relación entre las instituciones y el desarrollo económico de las naciones
[The relationship between institutions and economic development]," MPRA Paper 13371, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Powell, Justin J. W. & Solga, Heike, 2008. "Internationalization of vocational and higher education systems: A comparative-institutional approach," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Skill Formation and Labor Markets SP I 2008-501, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Luke Nottage, 2006. "Nothing New in the (North) East? Interpreting the Rhetoric and Reality of Japanese Corporate Governance," Governance Working Papers 21819, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pablo Bandeira, 2009. "Instituciones y desarrollo económico. Un marco conceptual," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 11(20), pages 355-373, January-J.
- Leuze, Kathrin & Brand, Tilman & Jakobi, Anja P. & Martens, Kerstin & Nagel, Alexander-Kenneth, 2008. "Analysing the two-level game: international and national determinants of change in education policy making," TranState Working Papers 72, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxp:obooks:9780199280469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers various economics topics
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed