An Evaluation of the Economic Effects of Austria's EU Membership
EU membership implied for Austria in the first place considerable adjustments in the area of economic policy and also of the private sector. In many policy areas the government had to cede competence to the Community. Austria as the fourth-richest EU member state, is a net payer to the EU budget. The participation in the Single Market increased competitive pressure and brought liberalisation in areas which were protected before. This process is still going on. An overall economic evaluation indicates that EU membership produced welfare effects – mainly for consumers – of about 2 percent of GDP. Since 1995, the full integration of Austria in the Single Market and in the early stage of EMU resulted in an cumulative increase of real GDP of 3 percentage points (or of about ½ percent per year).
Volume (Year): 5 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fritz Breuss & Kurt Kratena & Fritz Schebeck, 1994. "Effekte eines EU-Beitritts für die Gesamtwirtschaft und für die einzelnen Sektoren," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 67(5), pages 18-33, May.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- Flam, Harry, 1995. "From EEA to EU: Economic consequences for the EFTA countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 457-466, April.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 1992. "On the Growth Effects of Import Competition," NBER Working Papers 4045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chris Allen & Michael Gasiorek & Alasdair Smith, 1998. "The competition effects of the Single Market in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 439-486, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2000:i:4:p:171-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.