A Repeated Mixed Logit Approach to Valuing a Local Sport Fishery: The Case of Southeast Alaska Salmon
We estimate the values of fishing opportunities and changes in harvest rates for single-day private boat saltwater fishing for king and silver salmon in southeast Alaska, using a repeated mixed logit model of trip frequency and distribution estimated jointly with anglers’ shadow values of time. The standard assumption that the shadow value of time is a fixed fraction of the angler’s wage is rejected in favor of a more flexible model. The mean value of a fishing choice occasion is approximately $45 per angler, and mean marginal values of a king salmon and a silver salmon are approximately $71 and $106.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bill Provencher & Kenneth A. Baerenklau & Richard C. Bishop, 2002. "A Finite Mixture Logit Model of Recreational Angling with Serially Correlated Random Utility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1066-1075.
- Carson, Richard & Hanemann, Michael & Steinberg, Dan, 1990. "A discrete choice contingent valuation estimate of the value of Kenai King salmon," Journal of Behavioral Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 53-68.
- R. Craig Layman & John R. Boyce & Keith R. Criddle, 1996. "Economic Valuation of the Chinook Salmon Sport Fishery of the Gulkana River, Alaska, under Current and Alternate Management Plans," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(1), pages 113-128.
- Keith Criddle & M. Herrmann & S. Lee & C. Hamel, 2001. "Participation decisions, angler welfare, and the regional economic impact of sportfishing," Working Papers 2001-13, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Vasquez Lavin, Felipe & Hanemann, W. Michael, 2008.
"Functional forms in discrete/continuous choice models with general corner solution,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1078, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Felipe Vásquez & Michael Hanemann, 2009. "Functional Forms in Discrete/Continuous Choice Models with General Corner Solution," Working Papers 08-2009, Departamento de Economía, Universidad de Concepción.
- Vasquez Lavin, Felipe & Hanemann, W. Michael, 2008. "Functional Forms in Discrete/Continuous Choice Models With General Corner Solution," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7z25t659, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Kenneth E. McConnell & Ivar Strand, 1981. "Measuring the Cost of Time in Recreation Demand Analysis: An Application to Sportfishing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(1), pages 153-156.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:87:y:2011:iv:1:p:712-729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.