Flipping Activity and Subsequent Aftermarket Trading in Malaysian IPOs
This paper examines the aftermarket trading volume following an initial public offering (IPO) in a sample of 243 IPOs listed on Bursa Malaysia between June 2003 and June 2008. Specifically, this study investigates the degree of flipping activity and its relationship with six ex-ante variables including IPO initial returns. Consistent with previous studies, the result of the cross-sectional multiple regression reveals a significantly strong positive relationship between initial returns and flipping activity for IPOs. Initial returns also seem to influence the subsequent weekâ€™s trading volume, but the influence is completely absorbed by flipping activity. The results also show that both institutional investor participation and offer size have significant influences on flipping activity. The results of this study imply that the Malaysian IPO market experiences active flipping activity that, in turn, has a significant role in predicting the subsequent trading activity.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://web.usm.my/aamj/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bradley, Daniel J. & Jordan, Bradford D., 2002. "Partial Adjustment to Public Information and IPO Underpricing," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(04), pages 595-616, December.
- How, Janice & Jelic, Ranko & Saadouni, Brahim & Verhoeven, Peter, 2007. "Share allocations and performance of KLSE second board IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 292-314, June.
- Laurie Krigman & Wayne H. Shaw & Kent L. Womack, 1999. "The Persistence of IPO Mispricing and the Predictive Power of Flipping," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1015-1044, 06.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1995.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 139-140, May.
- Schultz, Paul H. & Zaman, Mir A., 1994. "Aftermarket support and underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 199-219, April.
- Othman Yong & Zaidi Isa, 2003. "Initial performance of new issues of shares in Malaysia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 919-930.
- Bayley, Luke & Lee, Philip J. & Walter, Terry S., 2006. "IPO flipping in Australia: cross-sectional explanations," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 327-348, September.
- Nurwati A. Ahmad-Zaluki & Kevin Campbell & Alan Goodacre, 2007. "The Long Run Share Price Performance of Malaysian Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1-2), pages 78-110.
- Low, Soo-Wah & Yong, Othman, 2011. "Explaining over-subscription in fixed-price IPOs -- Evidence from the Malaysian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 205-216, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usm:journl:aamjaf00901_113-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journal Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.