Beyond the Multi-Fibre Agreement: How are Workers in East Asia Faring?
This article provides critical coordinates for considering implications of the termination of the Multi-Fibre Agreement for employment, wages and working conditions in selected East Asian countries. It starts by discussing first the main arguments on greater liberalisation initiatives for developing economies before analysing the evolution of the clothing value chain. The article eventually provides some justification for insertion of the selected countries to anchor the issue’s subsequent articles.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Rajah Rasiah, 1996. "Innovation And Institutions," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 79-102.
- Palma, Gabriel, 1978. "Dependency: A formal theory of underdevelopment or a methodology for the analysis of concrete situations of underdevelopment?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(7-8), pages 881-924.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1980.
"Trade Policy as an Input to Development,"
NBER Working Papers
0466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bagchi,Amiya Kumar, 1982. "The Political Economy of Underdevelopment," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521284042, November.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1975. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: India," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag75-1.
- Rajah Rasiah, 2005. "Trade-related Investment Liberalization under the WTO: The Malaysian Experience," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 453-471.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004.
"China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), . "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Neil M. Coe & Peter Dicken & Martin Hess, 2008. "Introduction: global production networks—debates and challenges," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 267-269, May.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Rene Ofreneo & Peter Wad, 2010. "Industrial Relations and Labour Market Conditions," Chapters, in: The New Political Economy of Southeast Asia, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:4:y:2012:i:3:p:1-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.