Issuer Expenses and Legal Liability in Initial Public Offerings
Issues of initial public offerings (IPOs) face numerous decisions, of which the selection and compensation of experts--the legal counsel, the auditor, and the investment banker--are among the most important. Our article investigates the role of the entire IPO coalition (including the legal counsel). In a comprehensive sample of 823 firm-commitment offerings from 1992 to 1994, we examine how expert compensation, IPO underpricing, and IPO underpricing uncertainty are related to (1) expert quality (we provide in the text our directly comparable ranking of the top 50 experts in each category in December 1994), (2) legal caution and liability, (3) nonlegal risk signals, and (4) one another. The results are contrasted with similar results from the 1980s. Copyright 1996 by the University of Chicago.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feltham, Gerald A. & Hughes, John S. & Simunic, Dan A., 1991. "Empirical assessment of the impact of auditor quality on the valuation of new issues," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 375-399, December.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-387, May.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Allen, Franklin & Faulhaber, Gerald R., 1989. "Signalling by underpricing in the IPO market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 303-323, August.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J, 1993. " The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: A Dynamic Model with Information Production," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 285-304, March.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Muscarella, Chris J. & Vetsuypens, Michael R., 1991. "Underwriter warrants, underwriter compensation, and the costs of going public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 113-135, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlawec:v:39:y:1996:i:2:p:545-602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.