Improving the investment climate in APEC economies
The World Bank has identified investment as the key driver of growth and poverty reduction. An investment climate with few barriers is most likely to ensure investment is plentiful and used efficiently. In APEC economies, domestic investment makes up nearly three-quarters of all investment and therefore has the greatest potential to lift growth. Many studies have measured barriers to foreign direct investment at the border but surprisingly few have measured barriers 'behind-the-border' to domestic investment. We need to understand much more about behind-the-border barriers to investment in APEC and their impact to be able to assist APEC developing member economies make better informed policy choices when removing barriers to investment. Recent APEC experience with investment climate reform is briefly examined for any thematic lessons and whether there could be a better way to undertake such reform in the future.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Langton Crescent, PARKES ACT 2600|
Phone: +61 2 6263 2111
Fax: +61 2 6273 2614
Web page: http://www.treasury.gov.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen S. Golub, 2003. "Measures of Restrictions on Inward Foreign Direct Investment for OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(1), pages 85-116.
- Stephen S. Golub, 2003. "Measures Of Restrictions on Inward Foreign Direct Investment for OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 357, OECD Publishing.
- World Bank & International Finance Corporation, 2006. "Doing Business in 2006 : Creating Jobs," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7421.
- Williamson, John, 2000. "What Should the World Bank Think about the Washington Consensus?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 251-64, August.
- Stephen S. Golub & Dana Hajkova & Daniel Mirza & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "The Influence of Policies on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(1), pages 7-83.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsy:journl:journl_tsy_er_2007_1_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The Treasury (Commonwealth of Australia))
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.