European Science Parks and Job Creation. An Exploratory Study
This paper investigates the factors affecting the success of a SP in terms of people employed. Our research covers the population of SPs in Europe (215 in total). We start with a brief focus on some definitional issues. After that, we discuss the underlying determinants that the literature recognizes as potential drivers of a SP's success. These are: (i) the age of the park; (ii) the proximity between University and SP; (iii) the existence of R&D centers and business incubators within the park; and (iv) its main sectors of activity. We also control for contextual effects. Our results suggest that a SPs success, in terms of job created, depends on the context in which the SP is situated, its longevity and its innovation capacity.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Columbia 2, 00133 Roma|
Phone: +39 06 7259 5800
Fax: +39 06 7259 5804
Web page: http://www.economia.uniroma2.it/dsi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phan, Phillip H. & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2005. "Science parks and incubators: observations, synthesis and future research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-182, March.
- Matias Ramirez & Peter Dickenson, 2010. "Gatekeepers, Knowledge Brokers And Inter-Firm Knowledge Transfer In Beijing'S Zhongguancun Science Park," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(01), pages 93-122.
- Koh, Francis C. C. & Koh, Winston T. H. & Tschang, Feichin Ted, 2005. "An analytical framework for science parks and technology districts with an application to Singapore," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 217-239, March.
- Clarysse, Bart & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy & Van de Velde, Els & Vohora, Ajay, 2005.
"Spinning out new ventures: a typology of incubation strategies from European research institutions,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 183-216, March.
- B. Clarysse & M. Wright & A. Lockett & E. Van De Velde & A. Vohora, 2004. "Spinning Out New Ventures: A Typology Of Incubation Strategies From European Research Institutions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/228, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Lorraine Watkins-Mathys & M. John Foster, 2006. "Entrepreneurship: the missing ingredient in China's STIPs?," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 249-274, May.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Delmastro, Marco, 2002. "How effective are technology incubators?: Evidence from Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1122, September.
- Mariagrazia Squicciarini, 2009. "Science parks: seedbeds of innovation? A duration analysis of firms’ patenting activity," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 169-190, February.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike, 2003. "Assessing the impact of university science parks on research productivity: exploratory firm-level evidence from the United Kingdom," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1357-1369, November.
- Agrawal, Ajay & Cockburn, Iain, 2003. "The anchor tenant hypothesis: exploring the role of large, local, R&D-intensive firms in regional innovation systems," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1227-1253, November.
- Diana H. A. Tsai, 2005. "Knowledge Spillovers and High-technology Clustering: Evidence from Taiwan's Hsinchu Science-Based Industrial Park," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(1), pages 116-128, 01. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tov:dsiess:v:22:y:2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mario Risso)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.