Structure, agency and causality in post-revival Austrian economics: tensions and resolutions
This paper aims to illustrate the benefits that accrue from critical realism's sustained, explicit reflection about ontological issues. The paper pursues this aim by examining the work of radical subjectivist Austrian economists as it has developed since the post-1974 revival in the fortunes of the Austrian school, focusing in particular on their account of the generation of socio-economic order in decentralized market economies. Ambiguities and tensions can be discerned in the radical subjectivist account of the causal forces at work in the market process. It is argued that the conceptual resources required for resolving those tensions and ambiguities are to be found in critical realism. The final section of the paper draws out some of the broader implications of the suggested resolution for radical subjectivist Austrian economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Boettke & J. Robert Subrick, 2001. "From the philosophy of mind to the philosophy of the market," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 53-64.
- Boettke, Peter & Fink, Alexander, 2011.
Journal of Institutional Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 499-504, December.
- Cowan, Robin & Rizzo, Mario J, 1996. "The Genetic-Causal Tradition and Modern Economic Theory," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 273-317.
- Hodgson, Geoff, 1986. "Behind Methodological Individualism," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 211-24, September.
- Beaulier Scott & Boettke Peter, 2000.
"Of Norms, Rules and Markets: A Comment on Samuels,"
Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(4), pages 1-8, December.
- G. B. Madison, 1994. "Phenomenology and economics," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Austrian Economics, chapter 6 Edward Elgar.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:17:y:2005:i:2:p:291-316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.