Regional allocation of public infrastructure investment: The case of Greece
Lambrinidis M., Psycharis Y. and Rovolis A. (2005) Regional allocation of public infrastructure investment: the case of Greece, Regional Studies 39 , 1231-1244. This paper develops a model on the determinants of the regional allocation of public infrastructure investment and applies it to Greece for 1982-94 using panel methods of estimation. The principal conclusions are that regional allocations of infrastructure investment (1) were negatively associated with regional product per capita as well as with population size and population density, (2) were positively associated with the existing stock of infrastructure capital as well as with the share of agriculture in regional Gross Domestic Product, and (3) were increased across prefectures in years preceding national elections. These results are related to national and European regional policy.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Alan Aschauer, 1997.
"Do States Optimize?: Public Capital and Economic Growth,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_189, Levy Economics Institute.
- David Alan Aschauer, 2000. "Do states optimize? Public capital and economic growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 343-363.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1997. "Do States Optimize? Public Capital and Economic Growth," Macroeconomics 9711007, EconWPA.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Leah M. Cook, 1990.
"How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 11-33.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 69-112.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Is government capital productive? Evidence from a panel of seven countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 271-279.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:9:p:1231-1244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.