Localized Spillovers in the Polish Food Industry: The Role of FDI in the Development Process?
Jensen C. (2004) Localized spillovers in the Polish food industry: the role of FDI in the development process?, Reg. Studies 38, 535-550. The paper aims to investigate whether there are spillovers and agglomeration effects in the Polish food industry. This part of the research focuses on horizontal or inter-industry types of spillovers assuming that they may be multidirectional and could be based on any kind of community related to geography, industry affiliation and ownership. In the transition countries that have opened up to foreign direct investment very recently, ownership can be an important determinant of the firm's embeddedness in both local and global networks. The study confirms the relevance of all three types of 'community' factors bur raises concerns that foreign investors appear to share their own 'glocal' networks, while spillovers among domestic firms are confined to their own and also to highly localized producer communities. An F-test on the appropriateness of pooling confirms the idea that regional policy may have increased the likelihood of segregation.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998.
"Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Susan E Feinberg & Sumit K Majumdar, 2001. "Technology Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(3), pages 421-437, September.
- Barbara Blaszczyk & Richard Woodward, 1999. "Privatization and Company Restructuring in Poland," CASE Network Reports 0018, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:38:y:2004:i:5:p:533-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.