Foreign direct investment and economic performance in transition economies: evidence from China
Based upon a production function with FDI representing updated technology from more developed, market-based economies, this study tests the hypothesis that FDI contributes to the economic growth of less developed, transition economies via technology updating, using data for 30 Chinese provinces from 1985 to 2000. It is found that provinces with a higher FDI ratio experienced faster technology updating and more rapid economic growth. The study suggests that less developed, transition economies should encourage FDI from more developed, market-based economies so as to accelerate technology updating and economic growth.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eden, Lorraine & Levitas, Edward & Martinez, Richard J, 1997. "The Production, Transfer and Spillover of Technology: Comparing Large and Small Multinationals as Technology Producers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-66, February.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2001.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 1-6.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeronimo Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002. "What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?," IMF Working Papers 02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Gregory C. Chow, 1993. "Capital Formation and Economic Growth in China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 809-842. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)