Officially Despised Yet Tolerated: Open-air Markets and Entrepreneurship in Post-socialist Countries
This article examines the entrepreneurial activity at open-air markets (OAMs) in post-socialist countries. Based on interviews and observations of 65 traders at the largest OAM in the Baltics, we address the following questions: (a) To what extent can these traders be considered productive entrepreneurs? and (b) What unique functions do OAMs fulfil in the post-socialist environment? Our analysis indicates that, based on our working definition of entrepreneurship in transition countries, we consider these traders to be entrepreneurs. In addition, we identify a number of important social, political and economic roles that OAM traders fulfil in the transition environment.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smallbone, David & Welter, Friederike, 2001. " The Distinctiveness of Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 249-62, June.
- Endre Sik, 1999. "The Development of Open-air Markets in East-Central Europe," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 697-714, December.
- Ágnes Czakó, 1999. "Characteristics and Origins of the Comecon Open-air Market in Hungary," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 715-737, December.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20020055 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20020038 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:15:y:2003:i:3:p:461-473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.