Estimation under length-bias and right-censoring: An application to unemployment duration analysis for married women
In this work we analyse unemployment duration for married women in Spain, using the Labour Force Survey (LFS) of the Spanish Institute for Statistics, 1987-1997. Consistent non-parametric estimation of the unemployment survival function is provided. Since the available data are length- biased, a suitable correction of the Kaplan-Meier product-limit estimator is motivated and used for the referred analysis. The accuracy of parametric models is checked by means of goodness-of-fit plots--a graphical tool that requires preliminary estimation of the survival. Structural features of the associated hazard (as monotonicity and unimodality) are explored.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nieves Lázaro & Marı�a Luisa Moltó & Rosario Sánchez, 2000.
"Unemployment Determinants for Women in Spain,"
CEIS, vol. 14(1), pages 53-77, 03.
- James Hughes & Elizabeth Savoca, 1999. "Accounting for censoring in duration data: An application to estimating the effect of legal reforms on the duration of medical malpractice disputes," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2), pages 219-228.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1979. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1249-66, September.
- Klein, Roger & Sherman, Robert, 1997. "Estimating new product demand from biased survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 53-76.
- Jacobo Uña-Álvarez, 2002. "Product-limit estimation for length-biased censored data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 109-125, June.
- Alfonso Alba-Ramirez, 1999. "Explaining the transitions out of unemployment in Spain: the effect of unemployment insurance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(2), pages 183-193.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Clifford Nowell & Marc A. Evans & Lyman McDonald, 1988. "Length-Biased Sampling in Contingent Valuation Studies," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(4), pages 367-371.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:30:y:2003:i:3:p:283-291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.