The logic of Keynes' criticism of the Classical model
The Classics' remedy for unemployment was to lower money wages. Keynes opposes this remedy. Therefore, in The General Theory, he aims at building a model in which a fall in money wages may not cause an increase in employment. Most of the interpretations of Keynes identified this aim, but did not attach enough importance to it. Reading The General Theory in the light of this aim, we discover what Keynes' logic of elaboration is, then what Keynes' ideas about voluntary or involuntary unemployment are.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Glustoff, 1968. "On the Existence of a Keynesian Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 327-334.
- A. C. Pigou, 1917. "The Value of Money," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 38-65.
- De Vroey, Michel, 1999. "Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Economic Theory: A Confrontation of the Classical, Marshallian and Walras-Hicksian Conceptions," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 161-185, October.
- Paul Davidson, 1984. "Reviving Keynes's Revolution," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 6(4), pages 561-575, July.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Peter Howitt, 1986. "The Keynesian Recovery," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 626-641, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:9:y:2002:i:4:p:608-643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.