The logic of Keynes' criticism of the Classical model
The Classics' remedy for unemployment was to lower money wages. Keynes opposes this remedy. Therefore, in The General Theory, he aims at building a model in which a fall in money wages may not cause an increase in employment. Most of the interpretations of Keynes identified this aim, but did not attach enough importance to it. Reading The General Theory in the light of this aim, we discover what Keynes' logic of elaboration is, then what Keynes' ideas about voluntary or involuntary unemployment are.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Davidson, 1984. "Reviving Keynes's Revolution," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 6(4), pages 561-575, July.
- De Vroey, Michel, 1999. "Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Economic Theory: A Confrontation of the Classical, Marshallian and Walras-Hicksian Conceptions," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 161-185, October.
- Peter Howitt, 1986. "The Keynesian Recovery," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 626-41, November.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- E. Glustoff, 1968. "On the Existence of a Keynesian Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 327-334.
- A. C. Pigou, 1917. "The Value of Money," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 38-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:9:y:2002:i:4:p:608-643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.