Pricing a European Basket Option in the Presence of Proportional Transaction Costs
A crucial assumption in the Black-Scholes theory of options pricing is the no transaction costs assumption. However, following such a strategy in the presence of transaction costs would lead to immediate ruin. This paper presents a stochastic control approach to the pricing and hedging of a European basket option, dependent on primitive assets whose prices are modelled as lognormal diffusions, in the presence of costs proportional to the size of the transaction. Under certain assumptions on the individual preferences, it is able to reduce the dimensionality of the resulting control problem. This facilitates considerably the study of the value function and the characterisation of the optimal trading policy. For solution of the problem a perturbation analysis scheme is utilized to derive a non-trivial, asymptotically optimal result. The findings reveal that this result can be expressed by means of a small correction to the corresponding solution of the frictionless Black-Scholes type problem, resembling a multi-dimensional 'bandwidth' around the vanilla case, which, moreover, is readily tractable.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- HuyËn Pham & Nizar Touzi & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "A closed-form solution to the problem of super-replication under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 35-54.
- Bernard Bensaid & Jean-Philippe Lesne & Henri Pagès & José Scheinkman, 1992. "Derivative Asset Pricing With Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 63-86.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Yuri M. Kabanov & (*), Mher M. Safarian, 1997.
"On Leland's strategy of option pricing with transactions costs,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 239-250.
- Y. M. Kabanov & M. Safarian, 1995. "On Leland's Strategy of Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:13:y:2006:i:3:p:191-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.