Reducing the mean squared error of quantile-based estimators by smoothing
Many univariate robust estimators are based on quantiles. As already theoretically pointed out by Fernholz (in J. Stat. Plan. Inference 57(1), 29–38, 1997 ), smoothing the empirical distribution function with an appropriate kernel and bandwidth can reduce the variance and mean squared error (MSE) of some quantile-based estimators in small data sets. In this paper we apply this idea on several robust estimators of location, scale and skewness. We propose a robust bandwidth selection and bias reduction procedure. We show that the use of this smoothing method indeed leads to smaller MSEs, also at contaminated data sets. In particular, we obtain better performances for the medcouple which is a robust measure of skewness that can be used for outlier detection in skewed distributions. Copyright Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.seio.es/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/11749/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cizek, P. & Tamine, J. & Härdle, W., 2008.
"Smoothed L-estimation of regression function,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5154-5162, August.
- Cizek, P. & Tamine, J. & Härdle, W.K., 2006. "Smoothed L-estimation of Regression Function," Discussion Paper 2006-20, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Tamine, Julien & Čížek, Pavel & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2002. "Smoothed L-estimation of regression function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,88, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Mia Hubert & Stephan Van der Veeken, 2010. "Robust classification for skewed data," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer;German Classification Society - Gesellschaft für Klassifikation (GfKl);Japanese Classification Society (JCS);Classification and Data Analysis Group of the Italian Statistical Society (CLADAG);International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS), vol. 4(4), pages 239-254, December.
- A. Delaigle & I. Gijbels, 2002. "Estimation of integrated squared density derivatives from a contaminated sample," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 869-886.
- Hubert, M. & Vandervieren, E., 2008. "An adjusted boxplot for skewed distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5186-5201, August.
- Jin Zhang & Xueren Wang, 2009. "Robust normal reference bandwidth for kernel density estimation," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 63(1), pages 13-23.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:testjl:v:22:y:2013:i:3:p:448-465. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.