An adjusted boxplot for skewed distributions
The boxplot is a very popular graphical tool for visualizing the distribution of continuous unimodal data. It shows information about the location, spread, skewness as well as the tails of the data. However, when the data are skewed, usually many points exceed the whiskers and are often erroneously declared as outliers. An adjustment of the boxplot is presented that includes a robust measure of skewness in the determination of the whiskers. This results in a more accurate representation of the data and of possible outliers. Consequently, this adjusted boxplot can also be used as a fast and automatic outlier detection tool without making any parametric assumption about the distribution of the bulk of the data. Several examples and simulation results show the advantages of this new procedure.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carling, Kenneth, 2000. "Resistant outlier rules and the non-Gaussian case," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 249-258, May.
- Brys, Guy & Hubert, Mia & Struyf, Anja, 2006. "Robust measures of tail weight," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 733-759, February.
- Schwertman, Neil C. & de Silva, Rapti, 2007. "Identifying outliers with sequential fences," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 3800-3810, May.
- Schwertman, Neil C. & Owens, Margaret Ann & Adnan, Robiah, 2004. "A simple more general boxplot method for identifying outliers," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 165-174, August.
- Vandewalle, B. & Beirlant, J. & Christmann, A. & Hubert, M., 2007. "A robust estimator for the tail index of Pareto-type distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 6252-6268, August.