Loneliness and Life Satisfaction in Turkish Early Adolescents: The Mediating Role of Self Esteem and Social Support
This study aimed to measure whether self-esteem and social support are mediators in the relationship between loneliness and life satisfaction. The study includes early teenagers from the 6th, 7th and 8th grades aged between 11 and 15 (M = 13.31, SD = 1.09). The study group consisted of 431 secondary school students from large and medium sized cities in Turkey, of which 196 (44.5 %) were girls and 235 (54.5 %) were boys. The study examined students’ responses to life satisfaction, loneliness, self-esteem and social support scales. Data were separated into parcels of instruments within the framework of structural equation modeling. It was determined that both self-esteem and social support were partial mediators between loneliness and life satisfaction. These results are discussed within the scope of the literature. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 111 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Félix Neto, 1995. "Predictors of satisfaction with life among second generation migrants," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 93-116, May.
- Henry Chow, 2005. "Life Satisfaction Among University Students in a Canadian Prairie City: a Multivariate Analysis," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 139-150, 01.
- Daniel Shek, 2005. "Economic Stress, Emotional Quality of Life, and Problem Behavior in Chinese Adolescents with and without Economic Disadvantage," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 363-383, 03.
- M. D. R. Evans & Jonathan Kelley, 2004.
"Effect of Family Structure on Life Satisfaction: Australian Evidence,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2004n24, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- M. Evans & Jonathan Kelley, 2004. "Effect of family structure on life satisfaction: australian evidence," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 69(3), pages 303-349, December.
- Benyamini, Yael & Leventhal, Howard & Leventhal, E.A.Elaine A., 2004. "Self-rated oral health as an independent predictor of self-rated general health, self-esteem and life satisfaction," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 1109-1116, September.
- Shannon Suldo & E. Huebner, 2004. "The Role of Life Satisfaction in the Relationship between Authoritative Parenting Dimensions and Adolescent Problem Behavior," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 66(1), pages 165-195, April.
- Amanda Nickerson & Richard Nagle, 2004. "The Influence of Parent and Peer Attachments on Life Satisfaction in Middle Childhood and Early Adolescence," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 66(1), pages 35-60, April.
- Johanna Lai & Michael Bond & Natalie Hui, 2007. "The role of social axioms in predicting life satisfaction: a longitudinal study in Hong Kong," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 517-535, December.
- E. Huebner & Rich Gilman & James Laughlin, 1999. "A Multimethod Investigation of the Multidimensionality of Children's Well-Being Reports: Discriminant Validity of Life Satisfaction and Self-Esteem," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Necla Kapikiran, 2012. "Positive and Negative Affectivity as Mediator and Moderator of the Relationship between Optimism and Life Satisfaction in Turkish University Students," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 333-345, April.
- Unsal Yetim, 2003. "The Impacts of Individualism/Collectivism, Self-Esteem, and Feeling of Mastery on Life Satisfaction among the Turkish University Students and Academicians," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 61(3), pages 297-317, March.
- Mohsen Joshanloo & Samaneh Afshari, 2011. "Big Five Personality Traits and Self-Esteem as Predictors of Life Satisfaction in Iranian Muslim University Students," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 105-113, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:111:y:2013:i:2:p:617-632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.