A graph interpretation of the least squares ranking method
The paper aims at analyzing the least squares ranking method for generalized tournaments with possible missing and multiple paired comparisons. The bilateral relationships may reflect the outcomes of a sport competition, product comparisons, or evaluation of political candidates and policies. It is shown that the rating vector can be obtained as a limit point of an iterative process based on the scores in almost all cases. The calculation is interpreted on an undirected graph with loops attached to some nodes, revealing that the procedure takes into account not only the given object’s results but also the strength of objects compared with it. We explore the connection between this method and another procedure defined for ranking the nodes in a digraph, the positional power measure. The decomposition of the least squares solution offers a number of ways to modify the method. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2015
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/355|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Borm & René van den Brink & Marco Slikker, 2002.
"An Iterative Procedure for Evaluating Digraph Competitions,"
Annals of Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 109(1), pages 61-75, January.
- Borm, P.E.M. & van den Brink, J.R. & Slikker, M., 2000. "An Iterative Procedure for Evaluating Digraph Competitions," Research Memorandum 788, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Borm, P.E.M. & van den Brink, J.R. & Slikker, M., 2002. "An iterative procedure for evaluating digraph competitions," Other publications TiSEM 40ae2ec2-efdb-48f6-905c-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kwiesielewicz, M., 1996. "The logarithmic least squares and the generalized pseudoinverse in estimating ratios," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 611-619, September.
- P. Herings & Gerard Laan & Dolf Talman, 2005. "The positional power of nodes in digraphs," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 24(3), pages 439-454, 06.
- Marco Slikker & Peter Borm & René Brink, 2012. "Internal slackening scoring methods," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 72(4), pages 445-462, April.
- Julio González-Díaz & Ruud Hendrickx & Edwin Lohmann, 2014. "Paired comparisons analysis: an axiomatic approach to ranking methods," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 42(1), pages 139-169, January.
- Shamis, Elena, 1994. "Graph-theoretic interpretation of the generalized row sum method," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 321-333, June.
- Frederick Mosteller, 1951. "Remarks on the method of paired comparisons: I. The least squares solution assuming equal standard deviations and equal correlations," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(1), pages 3-9, March.
- Denis Bouyssou, 2004. "Monotonicity of ‘ranking by choosing’: A progress report," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 23(2), pages 249-273, October.
- Hudry, Olivier, 2009. "A survey on the complexity of tournament solutions," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 292-303, May.
- Brozos-Vázquez, Miguel & Campo-Cabana, Marco Antonio & Díaz-Ramos, José Carlos & González-Díaz, Julio, 2008. "Ranking participants in tournaments by means of rating functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(11), pages 1246-1256, December.
- Harold Gulliksen, 1956. "A least squares solution for paired comparisons with incomplete data," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 21(2), pages 125-134, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:44:y:2015:i:1:p:51-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.