The impact of the economic cycle on fatal injuries. The case of UK 1971–2007
The aim of this paper is to investigate the effect of the economic cycle on workplace accidents. In particular, the effect of the usual factors of the economic cycle (GDP per capita, Unemployment) is examined along with the effect of working hours (to account for flexible employment) on fatal injuries (to exclude the effect of under-reporting data) for the period 1971–2007 in UK. Detailed multiple regression analysis is applied, which indicates a controversial and inelastic relation of GDP per capita (negative) and unemployment rate (positive), but also an elastic relation of working hours (positive) to fatal injuries. Further research in data of various countries is proposed before arriving to certain conclusions. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x.
- Guadalupe, Maria, 2003.
"The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 339-357, June.
- María Guadalupe, 2002. "The Hidden Costs of Fixed Term Contracts: the Impact On Work Accidents," CEP Discussion Papers dp0551, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maria Guadalupe, 2002. "The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20064, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alexis Lazaridis, 2007. "A Note Regarding the Condition Number: The Case of Spurious and Latent Multicollinearity," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 123-135, 02.
- Basu, Dipak R & Lazaridis, Alexis, 1983. "Stochastic Optimal Control by Pseudo-Inverse," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 347-350, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:qualqt:v:46:y:2012:i:6:p:1917-1929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.