Discriminant analysis for compositional data and robust parameter estimation
Compositional data, i.e. data including only relative information, need to be transformed prior to applying the standard discriminant analysis methods that are designed for the Euclidean space. Here it is investigated for linear, quadratic, and Fisher discriminant analysis, which of the transformations lead to invariance of the resulting discriminant rules. Moreover, it is shown that for robust parameter estimation not only an appropriate transformation, but also affine equivariant estimators of location and covariance are needed. An example and simulated data demonstrate the effects of working in an inappropriate space for discriminant analysis. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/180/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- He, Xuming & Fung, Wing K., 2000. "High Breakdown Estimation for Multiple Populations with Applications to Discriminant Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 151-162, February.
- Hron, K. & Templ, M. & Filzmoser, P., 2010. "Imputation of missing values for compositional data using classical and robust methods," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3095-3107, December.
- John Aitchison & Michael Greenacre, 2002.
"Biplots of compositional data,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 51(4), pages 375-392.
- J. Aitchison & Michael Greenacre, 2001. "Biplots of compositional data," Economics Working Papers 557, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hubert, Mia & Van Driessen, Katrien, 2004. "Fast and robust discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 301-320, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:27:y:2012:i:4:p:585-604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.