Influence of observations on the misclassification probability in quadratic discriminant analysis
In this paper it is studied how observations in the training sample affect the misclassification probability of a quadratic discriminant rule. An approach based on partial influence functions is followed. It allows to quantify the effect of observations in the training sample on the performance of the associated classification rule. Focus is on the effect of outliers on the misclassification rate, merely than on the estimates of the parameters of the quadratic discriminant rule. The expression for the partial influence function is then used to construct a diagnostic tool for detecting influential observations. Applications on real data sets are provided.
Volume (Year): 96 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela Boente, 2002. "Influence functions and outlier detection under the common principal components model: A robust approach," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(4), pages 861-875, December.
- Croux, Christophe & Haesbroeck, Gentiane, 1999. "Influence Function and Efficiency of the Minimum Covariance Determinant Scatter Matrix Estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 161-190, November.
- Hubert, Mia & Van Driessen, Katrien, 2004. "Fast and robust discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 301-320, March.
- Pison, Greet & Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Filzmoser, Peter & Croux, Christophe, 2003. "Robust factor analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 145-172, January.
- Fung, Wing-Kam, 1992. "Some diagnostic measures in discriminant analysis," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 279-285, March.
- He, Xuming & Fung, Wing K., 2000. "High Breakdown Estimation for Multiple Populations with Applications to Discriminant Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 151-162, February.
- Fung, Wing K., 1995. "Detecting influential observations for estimated probabilities in multiple discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-568, November.
- Pires, Ana M. & Branco, João A., 2002. "Partial Influence Functions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 451-468, November.
- McFarland, H. Richard & Richards, Donald St. P., 2002. "Exact Misclassification Probabilities for Plug-In Normal Quadratic Discriminant Functions: II. The Heterogeneous Case," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 299-330, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:96:y:2005:i:2:p:384-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.