Estimating the Real Effective Exchange Rate (REER) by Using the Unit Labor Cost (ULC) in Romania
The real effective exchange rate (REER) is one of the indicators that can provide good information about the competitiveness of a country. However, the computation of REER is not an easy task because of the lack of data in order to compute each country weight. In our paper we compute the weights by taking into account the third market effect according to Turner and Van't Dack's methodology (1993). We use different deflators in order to reveal their effects on the trajectory of the REER and on the competitiveness.
Volume (Year): 3 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martine Durand & Christophe Madaschi & Flavia Terribile, 1998. "Trends in OECD Countries' International Competitiveness: The Influence of Emerging Market Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- Pelinescu Elena, 2005. "Cursul de schimb ca indicator de competitivitate," Revista OEconomica, Romanian Society for Economic Science, Revista OEconomica, issue 04, December.
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primeron the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Luca Buldorini & Stelios Makrydakis & Christian Thimann, 2002. "The effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 02, European Central Bank.
- Nilsson, Kristian, 1999. "Alternative Measures of the Swedish Real Effective Exchange Rate," Working Paper 68, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Haug, Alfred A. & MacKinnon, James G. & Michelis, Leo, 2000. "European Monetary Union: a cointegration analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 419-432, June.
- Martine Durand & Jacques Simon & Colin Webb, 1992. "OECD's Indicators of International Trade and Competitiveness," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 120, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v:3:y:2006:i:4:p:5-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.