Effect of Openness to Trade and FDI on Industrial Sector Growth: A Case Study for Pakistan
This present paper is analyzing the effect of trade openness and foreign direct investment (FDI) on industrial sector growth in Pakistan. This paper is examined that Pakistan’s industrial growth is affected by trade openness through a number of channels including monetary policy, fiscal policy, and Fdi. This study is employs Johansen and Juselius co-integration technique and Vector Error Correction Mechanism approach to estimate short run as well as long run relationship using annual time series data for the period 1960-2011. The study found that the relevant macro economic indicators Fdi and Real Gdp have positive and significant long run relationship with industrial sector growth while Trade openness and Inflation have negative long-run relationship with industrial sector growth also Real effective exchange rate have statistically insignificant results in long-run, on the other hand in short run lagged value of own industrial sector, Fdi, Reer, Real GDP have positive and significant impact on industrial sector growth. While inflation and trade openness shows insignificant relationship and Ec (-1) confirms long-run relationship among all independent variables.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 48 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.rei.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Growth and Welfare in A Small Open Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
2970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2001.
"Trade Liberalisation and Industrial Growth in Pakistan: A Cointegration Analysis,"
ASARC Working Papers
2001-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2004. "Trade liberalization and industrial growth in Pakistan: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(13), pages 1421-1429.
- Sindzingre, Alice, 2005. "Explaining Threshold Effects of Globalization on Poverty: An Institutional Perspective," Working Paper Series RP2005/53, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rej:journl:v:16:y:2013:i:47:p:179-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.