El PIB de la Nueva Granada en 1800: auge colonial, estancamiento republicano
This article measures Nueva Granada’s GDP before its Independence, analyzes its economic growth during 1785-1810 and considers some hypothesis about its continuity in the 19th century, with an ending reference point in 1905. These measures are used to make international comparisons with other Latin-American countries and the U.S. economy and to evaluate the share of colonial taxes, transferences to the metropolis, the openness of the economy and the weights of the different sectors in the viceroyalty GDP. The article also highlights the costs of Independence, which are related to the ensuing political disorder and the imperfect democratic institutions built on weak foundations.
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 15 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2005.
"Colonial independence and economic backwardness in Latin America,"
Economic History Working Papers
22482, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2004. "Colonial Independence And Economic Backwardness In Latin America," Working Papers in Economic History wh046503, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, 2003. "¿Situado o contrabando?: La base económica de Cartagena de Indias a fines del siglo de las luces," CUADERNOS DE HISTORIA ECONÓMICA Y EMPRESARIAL 003834, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Jaime Jaramillo & Adolfo Meisel & Miguel Urrutia, .
"Continuities and Discontinuites in the Fiscal and Monetary Institucions of New Granada 1783-1850,"
Borradores de Economia
074, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Jaime Jaramillo U. & Adolfo Meisel R. & Miguel Urrutia, 1997. "Continuities and Discontinuities in the Fiscal and Monetary Institutions of New Granada 1783-1850," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002197, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:8:y:2006:i:15:p:161-183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.