Desplazamiento forzado y condiciones de vida de las comunidades de destino: el caso de Pasto, Nariño
The armed conflict in Colombia has left over 3,3 million displaced persons seeking refuge in the cities. Studies on displacement in Colombia have focused on examining the losses that this crime inflicts on the victims, but have made little progress on analyzing its effects on the standard of living of the receiving communities. This study uses impact evaluation techniques to assess the effects of displacement on populations living in strata 1 and 2 areas in Pasto, Nariño. The findings indicate that displacement has mixed effects on the living conditions of the receiving communities. Although there are negative effects in terms of security and food security, there have been positive effects on trust and social infrastructure. This indicates that while the displaced population generates tension in the receiving communities, it also provides solutions to historical social problems, such as lack of education and health infrastructure.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 23 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas|
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judy L. Baker, 2000. "Evaluating the Impact of Development Projects on Poverty : A Handbook for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13949, April.
- Borjas, George J & Freeman, Richard B & Katz, Lawrence, 1996.
"Searching for the Effect of Immigration on the Labor Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 246-251, May.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996. "Searching for the Effect of Immigration on the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 5454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Cerdan-Infantes & Alessandro Maffioli & Diego Ubfal, 2009. "Improving Technology Adoption in Agriculture through Extension Services: Evidence from Uruguay," OVE Working Papers 0409, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Devesh Kapur & John McHale, 2009. "International migration and the world income distribution," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 1102-1110.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Francisca Henriquez, 2009. "Microcrédito y su Impacto: Un Acercamiento con Datos Chilenos," OVE Working Papers 0309, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:12:y:2010:i:23:p:259-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.