Measuring Human Development and Environmental Sustainability in European Countries
The aim of this paper is to integrate the Human Development Index, drawn up by the United Nations, and various other environmental and sustainability factors. In particular, we have compiled a comprehensive index ranging from the depletion and degradation of natural resources to environmental threats such as air pollution, ozone depletion and soil and water pollution. As a case study we have implemented a sustainable human development index for European countries. The results will enable us to underline the key factors of effective sustainable human development and, at the same time, test the effective explaining power of this modified composite index compared with the existing income and development indicators.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & K.V. Bhanu Murthy, 2004.
"A Consumption Based Human Development Index and The Global Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
ASARC Working Papers
2004-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & K.V. Bhanu Murthy, 2004. "A Consumption Based Human Development Index and The Global Environmental Kuznets Curve," Departmental Working Papers 2004-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Others 0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- A. Markandya, 1998. "Poverty, Income Distribution and Policy Making," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 459-472, April.
- Salvatore Monni, 2002. "L'Indice di sviluppo umano regionale. Un'applicazione all'Unione Europea," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(5).
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2004. "Measuring human and Sustainable Development: An Integrated Approach for European Countries," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0041, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Y. Hossein Farzin, 2004. "Is an Exhaustible Resource Economy Sustainable?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 33-46, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.