Measuring Human Development and Environmental Sustainability in European Countries
The aim of this paper is to integrate the Human Development Index, drawn up by the United Nations, and various other environmental and sustainability factors. In particular, we have compiled a comprehensive index ranging from the depletion and degradation of natural resources to environmental threats such as air pollution, ozone depletion and soil and water pollution. As a case study we have implemented a sustainable human development index for European countries. The results will enable us to underline the key factors of effective sustainable human development and, at the same time, test the effective explaining power of this modified composite index compared with the existing income and development indicators.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2004. "Measuring human and Sustainable Development: An Integrated Approach for European Countries," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0041, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Others 0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- A. Markandya, 1998. "Poverty, Income Distribution and Policy Making," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 459-472, April.
- Y. Hossein Farzin, 2004. "Is an Exhaustible Resource Economy Sustainable?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 33-46, 02.
- Raghbendra Jha & K.V. Bhanu Murthy, 2004.
"A Consumption Based Human Development Index and The Global Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
ASARC Working Papers
2004-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & K.V. Bhanu Murthy, 2004. "A Consumption Based Human Development Index and The Global Environmental Kuznets Curve," Departmental Working Papers 2004-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Salvatore Monni, 2002. "L'Indice di sviluppo umano regionale. Un'applicazione all'Unione Europea," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(5).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.