George Stigler - sto let od narození
[100 Years Since the Birth of George Stigler]
The paper is concerned with the economic theory of George Stigler. First part outlines the life of George Stigler. Second part examines his dissertation "Production and Distribution Theories" (1941). Third part discusses his textbook "The Theory of Price" (1946). Forth part is devoted to his "Essays in the History of Economics" (1965). Fifth part analyzes the work "The Organization of Industry" (1968). Sixth part explains "The Theory of Economic Regulation" (1971). Seventh part discusses Stigler´s book "The Citizen and the State" (1975). Eighth part presents his autobiography "Memoirs of an Unregulated Economist" (1988). Stigler has become famous thanks to articles "Economics of Information" (1961) and "Theory of Economic Regulation" (1971), which says that interest groups and other political participants will use the regulatory and coercive powers of government to shape laws and regulations in a way that is beneficial to them.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2011 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peltzman, Sam, 1993. "George Stigler's Contribution to the Economic Analysis of Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 818-832, October.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1993. "George J. Stigler: Midcentury Neoclassicalist with a Passion to Quantify," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 793-808, October.
- McCann, C R, Jr & Perlman, Mark, 1993. "On Thinking about George Stigler," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 994-1014, July.
- Sowell, Thomas, 1993. "A Student's Eye View of George Stigler," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 784-792, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1993. "George J. Stigler and the Industrial Organization of Economic Thought," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 809-817, October.
- Wesley J. Yordon, 1992. "Stigler's Adaptable and Indivisible Plant and the Micro/Macro Schism," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 455-470, Summer.
- Stigler, George J., 1983. "The Organization of Industry," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226774329, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2011:y:2011:i:3:id:790:p:407-424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.