On Multivariate Methods in Robust Econometrics
This work studies implicitly weighted robust statistical methods suitable for econometric problems. We study robust estimation mainly for the context of heteroscedasticity or high dimension, which are up-to-date topics of current econometrics. We describe a modification of linear regression resistant to heteroscedasticity and study its computational aspects. For a robust version of the instrumental variables estimator we propose an asymptotic test of heteroscedasticity. Further we describe robust statistical methods for dimension reduction and classification analysis. We propose the robust quadratic classification analysis based on a new minimum weighted covariance determinant (MWCD) estimator. In general the robust methods based on down-weighting less reliable observations are resistant to outlying values (outliers) and insensitive to the assumption of Gaussian normal distribution of the data. The methods are illustrated on econometric data examples.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronchetti, Elvezio & Trojani, Fabio, 2001. "Robust inference with GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 37-69, March.
- Garcia-Escudero, Luis Angel & Gordaliza, Alfonso, 2005. "Generalized Radius Processes for Elliptically Contoured Distributions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1036-1045, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Cragg, John G, 1983. "More Efficient Estimation in the Presence of Heteroscedasticity of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 751-63, May.
- Marco Riani & Anthony C. Atkinson & Andrea Cerioli, 2009. "Finding an unknown number of multivariate outliers," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 447-466.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Applications of Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 87-100, Fall.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Waldmann, Robert, 2002. "On B-robust instrumental variable estimation of the linear model with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 297-324, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2012:y:2012:i:1:id:411:p:69-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.