Managing Foreign Exchange Inflows: An Analysis of Sterilisation in Pakistan
The paper evaluates Pakistan’s experience of managing capital inflows witnessed in recent years, particularly after the 9/11 events, which had implications for the conduct of monetary policy. The State Bank of Pakistan intervened in the foreign exchange market by purchasing excess supply, with the objective to contain volatility in exchange rate, and at the same time building up foreign exchange reserves. The market interventions led to surplus rupee liquidity, which had to be sterilised in order to ensure price stability. The paper estimated empirically the sterilisation coefficient by using OLS technique. Sterilisation coefficient for Pakistan during July2000-December2003 was –0.87, indicating that 87 percent of the increase in NFA was sterilised through selling of government securities.
Volume (Year): 44 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Norman C & Askin, Sherry S, 1976. "Monetary Policy and the Balance of Payments in Brazil and Chile," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 227-238, May.
- Pedro Aspe Armella & Rudiger Dornbusch & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number arme83-1, 01.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983.
"Capital Mobility and the Scope for Sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s,"
NBER Chapters,in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 245-276
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Capital Mobility and the Scope for Sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s," NBER Working Papers 0770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Capital mobility and the scope for sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s," International Finance Discussion Papers 187, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kouri, Pentti J K & Porter, Michael G, 1974. "International Capital Flows and Portfolio Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 443-467, May/June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:44:y:2005:i:1:p:777-792. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.